Missions Update: September 2018
Shan Reed – North American Baptist Conference
Ibukino 3, Chome 14-9-903
Izumi Shi, Osaka Fu 594-0041 Japan
Greetings from Japan! As we are experiencing record-breaking heat this summer in Japan, we are excited about how the Holy Spirit is setting hearts on fire as people experience Him for the first time, as believers are inspired to know Him better, and as His children desire to share His love with others.
On July 17, Komyo Christian Church hosted a ladies seminar. We were stretched as we talked about renewing our minds and encouraged as we were reminded of the Holy Spirit’s power to renew and empower us.
Following the seminar, we plunged into final preparations for the arrival of the Gateway Team. On July 27, we welcomed an excited and travel-weary team to hot, humid Osaka. The team spent two nights with host families connected with our church. They experienced Japanese home cooking and fellowship. Not all of the family members involved in the homestay are Christians so this gave the team an opportunity to shine the light of Jesus in tangible ways.
Each person on the team prepared a testimony, they prepared some songs, and they also prepared a skit called “Hands.” With someone translating for them, they were able to participate in worship services and other special events. One event we hosted at Komyo Church was a culture day. The team shared about life in North Dakota, shared the hands skit, played games, and had conversations around the tables at lunch and snack time.
After a few days in Osaka, we took them to Mie Prefecture where we did some sightseeing, some cultural study, and had a day with people from some of our Japan Baptist Conference churches in Mie. Then they went to Chita in Aichi Prefecture where they helped with similar ministry with the people at the Chita Nozomi Christian Church and the Kasugai Jinryo Christian Church. Their ministry was well-received and greatly appreciated. We met new people, were able to build stronger relationships with current friends, laughed a lot, and the team was privileged to pray with a young lady who wanted to accept Jesus as her Savior. We had a blessed two weeks!
Thank you for continuing to partner with me as we shine the light of Jesus around the corner and around the world.
- Praise God for a safe arrival in Japan and reconnecting with coworkers and friends.
- Praise the Lord for safe travels and times of worship and fellowship with my supporting churches.
- Praise God for the way He is strengthening and growing His church in Japan.
- Praise the Lord for wonderful times of ministry at Komyo Church in July, at the Ladies Seminar, and with the Gateway Team.
- Pray for the connections made during the Gateway Team’s ministry.
- Pray for the people in western Japan who have been affected by natural disasters in July and for those helping with clean up.
- Please pray for me as I build relationships, teach God’s Word, and work together with my NAB co-workers to shine the light of Jesus in Japan.