The Sun of Righteousness
Meditations on the glory of Christ
The New Testament has a lot to say about the glory of Jesus Christ and we freely talk about the glory of Christ. But when the Bible uses the word ‘glory’, what is being made reference to? Just what is the ‘glory’ of Christ? When we speak of glory, we speak of honor, splendor, worthiness, reputation, position, wealth. It may be helpful to consider human glory to give us some idea, though inadequate, of divine glory.
Joseph spoke of his position and wealth in Egypt and said to his brothers, ". . . tell my father of my glory" (Gen 45:13). God promised to Solomon, ". . . riches and glory so that there will not be any like you all the days of your life" (1 Kgs 3:13). When Job lost his children, wealth, and health, he lamented, “He [God] has stripped me of my glory" (Job 19:9).
In our world, a display of glory would be the president presenting someone with the congressional medal of honor or someone receiving a gold medal after winning the mile run against the best runners in the world, while a band plays his national anthem. With respect to Christ, His glory is His intrinsic worth and majestic splendor . . . His power, His authority, His sinless perfection, His unchangeable nature, His love, His sovereign rule over all creation.
Missions Update: October 2017
Vicente & Fanny Vieira
P.O. Box 17-08-8225
Quito, Ecuador South America
In times of crisis, our faith must be stronger than ever, trusting with certainty that the Highest Lord is with us. His Majestic splendor helps the body of Christ. "The eternal God is our Refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms", Deut. 33:27. Praise our Father, Shepherd and loving Sovereign, interceding fervently for us.
We are writing for mutual comfort in these times, and perseverance doing His work. Certainly, Christ´s life is the light that shines through the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it. Hallelujah!
Joe Teisan: October 2017
HAVE FUN AND ENJOY BIBLE GEOGRAPHY
1. The Middle East has most of the world’s supply of what resource?
2. Most of the land is dry _____________.
They need _____________.
3. Name the rivers of Egypt, Israel and Babylon.
4. Name all bodies of water of Israel.
5. Moab and Edom are located on which sea?
6. What is the last word in the book of Genesis?
7. In which part of Egypt did Israel live?
8. Which body of water today separates Egypt from the Sinai?
9. Which 4 bodies of water border the Sinai Peninsula?
10. Name the 12 tribes of Israel and the two tribes of Joseph.
11. Why is Bible Geography important to me? Why must I know it?
12. In which 5 places can I find Bible maps?
13. Which 2 seas are named for colors?
14. From where did Israel send out 12 to spy the land? What did Israel do when they heard the report? What is their punishment?
15. Name 7 Bible mountains and tell why they are important.
16. Which New Testament book covers the geography of the Roman Empire?
17. Why do you need maps in your study of Acts?
18. Name 15 cities mentioned in Acts.
19. Name the 7 churches of Asia to which Christ writes 7 letters in Revelation.
20. Name the 2 rivers of Babylon.
21. Into which bodies of water do these rivers flow: Nile, Jordan, Euphrates, Tigris
22. From the Bible names, identify the modern names of these 9 places: Rome, Asia Minor, Melita, Persia, Babylon, Moab, Phoenicia, Achaia, Joppa.
23. Which two kings are born in Bethlehem?
24. Which two cities describe the length of Israel, North to South?
25. What is southern Judah called?
26. In a vision, Paul saw a man from what country ask for the Gospel?
27. Which Hebrews became high government officials in foreign countries?
28. What is a Tell?
29. Paul was born in what city? Where was the Temple of Diana?
30. Name 10 cities that Christ visited.
Odds & Ends: October 2017
Pillars of the faith
Because Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to a church door in Wittenberg, Germany, on October 31, 1517, many Christians remember that day and the major changes, or Reformation, that resulted.
Luther's theses contained three main pillars, which have stood for almost 500 years:
1. Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone) - The Bible is the sole authority in matters of faith, life and conduct. "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16, NRSV).
2. Sola Fide (Faith Alone) - Christians are justified, or declared righteous, only through believing in Jesus Christ as Savior. Although morality and good works are important, they alone cannot lead to salvation. "A person is justified not by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ" (Galatians 2:16, NRSV).
3. Sola Gratia (Grace Alone) - Grace is God's unmerited, or undeserved, favor. Salvation is a free gift from our gracious God. "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God - not the result of works, so that no one may boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9, NRSV).
Pastor Cosand: September 2017
BREADTH AND LENGTH AND HEIGHT AND DEPTH
meditation on Ephesians 3:18,19M
There are some realities that are so mind boggling that if we had to describe them to someone, we would be at a total loss. For example, how do you describe the Grand Canyon, or Mt. Rainier, or the night time sky on a clear, moonless night when it almost appears that you can touch the Milky Way? You can’t describe these things … you just experience them and stand in awed silence before them.
Likewise, there are some Biblical passages and truths we are totally inadequate to comprehend and to describe. In Ephesians 3 there are references to the riches of God’s glory (Eph 3:16), the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge (Eph 3:19), and all the fullness of God (Eph 3:19). How can we totally comprehend the riches of God’s glory or His fullness or the love of Christ? These things are infinite and you can’t comprehend the infinite by means of the finite. It won’t work, no matter how hard you try. It is like trying to pour the Pacific Ocean into an 8 ounce glass, except the contrast between God’s infinite perfections and our small, sinful minds is even greater than the Pacific Ocean and a glass.